Monday, October 8, 2012

Trusting the Process

There are less than two weeks left until my first, full marathon,! Crazy!! As I've posted, when everything running-wise got all cattywompus due to the injury, I decided to ditch my actual training plan (s). Instead I've been planning my workouts, rest days and cross-training based on feel.

 Somehow I've been able to shut everything else out and really stay tuned into the way my body is reacting on a daily basis. If I need extra sleep, I take it. If it feels like a long, slow run NEEDS to happen, I fit it in. Until race day, I have no real way to determine if I'm doing a good or dumb things.

So far, it feels right, though. Jinxes be darned, I feel pretty, stinking good, both physically and mentally. Even if this (epic-for-me) race turns out to be a disaster, I'll be able to honestly say how much I loved training for it. (minus the whole stress fracture fiasco, obviously)

I wanted to follow up Saturday's 16-miler with some relaxing recovery miles. Luckily, Sunday morning presented the perfect opportunity. Some of my favorite ladies, who also happen to be superduper runners, met up with me.

another example of a stellar photo op with my sister
 
quite possibly the world's most enthusiastic runner


the shadows make us look cool and mysterious, eh?
 
These three, lovely girlies are currently gliding through training for their very first half-marathon. Occasionally, they let me tag along and are unlucky enough to get to hear my neverending Running "Wisdom". It usually goes a little something like this : "Don't do what I did..."
 
When the four of us finished our run/gabfest, they all took their sweaty selves home and I was starving. As I was making a big breakfast, and thinking back on the week's runs, it was like a light switch flipped off.
 
Done.
 
Any "training" that was going to happen, in preparation for this marathon, was done. I felt an overwhelming need to stop stressing, start running for maintenance and just trust the work I've been able to put in.
 
When I woke up, this morning, I felt peaceful and blissfully relaxed. Bonus: I can totally write off my current sluggish mood and call it "tapering".  For example: Not wanting to waste any extra energy to deal with this room in my house, I left for a soothing, 2-mile walk. That's not what a person does when they're lazy. It's what they do when they taper.

 all those Legos...just waiting to be stepped on
 
 
Any other ideas to avoid both running and cleaning up Pokemon cards? 



 
 



12 comments:

  1. Less than 2 weeks till the big "M" for me too...I'm starting to get nervous though; shoot me some of your confidence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! I'd gladly share if I had any. I'm confident in tapering...that's about as far as it goes.
      You're going to have a great race! Aren't you so excited that you'll be able to call yourself A Marathoner?!

      Delete
  2. somedays I want to throw away every kid toy I have to pick up. Kids can be so messy!

    Yup at this point the training is done and all you can do now is trust in that. Enjoy the taper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I do throw away or donate handfuls of toys. They never even notice! However, if they SEE it, in the trash, it's suddenly their mostfavoritetoyEVER!! *sigh*

      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Enjoy the taper. I actually just shortened my runs and did much shorter, speedier runs leading up until a few days before and then just rested for about 4 days doing light jogs, etc. As far as cleaning up Pokemon cards, I just threaten to burn them if I find them on my floor. One time of pretending to put the card in my mouth and eat it (it was a Pichachu which is apparently a big deal) and I have never found them laying around again....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup. That sounds pretty similar to what I'd like to do with my taper.
      Thanks...that eating threat might work around here! Right up 'til the point that The Middlest sits, stone-faced to watch me chew up his favorite card. He's tough like that.

      Delete
  4. After threatening a couple of times, I *did* actually throw away some things*** that 5 y.o. had left on the floor. He was very upset and it definitely made an impact.


    ***By "things" I mean the cardboard backing from his Star Wars action figure packages. He claims to NEED them so he knows which guys he doesn't have. So, yeah. I threw away garbage. Not quite that impressive, I guess.***

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Throwing away garbage is still totally noteworthy! You got some cleaning done and he learnt a valuable lesson, right?

      Delete
    2. p.s. I really like my hair in that awful picture.

      Delete
    3. it was certainly better than my fluffy "do"

      Delete
  5. OMG, so excited for you running Niagara! Its an extremely easy course...I can't say there are too many spectators but I did really enjoy it. It was clam, relaxing and a beautiful time to year. Ending at the falls was really nice too. No hill training needed...you got one up across the bridge when you enter Canada. Its a pretty neat run...just get with a group around 12 or 13 or you will be lonely!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! A big reason I picked it is actually because it's so scenic. That way, while I'm hating myself and my aching legs, I can at least enjoy a gigantic waterfall, right?

      Delete